Sunday, May 2, 2010

comparisson value

A snap shot into four peopl talking/comparing at different points in life:

Kid #1. Well my dad once saved my brothers life.
Kid #2. My dad knows a famous movies star.
Kid #3. My dad is so important at work, he has a pager. (author's note: a pager was an electronic device that could only receive a phone number, these pre-date cell phones and text messaging)
Kid #4. My dad knows over 100 people.

I have value because I am my parents child.

Kid #1. I can run faster than you can.
Kid #2. Well I can lift more weight than you.
Kid #3. I can do the monkey bars quicker than both of you.
Kid #4. I can hold my hand like Mr Spok.

I have value because I have a body that can do.


preteen #1. See this scar here on my finger, well I got it while carving a piece of wood and it slipped, it nearly cut my finger off.
preteen #2. Oh yeah, well this scar here on my ankle happened when a picture frame fell apart and the sheet of glass landed right there, I almost lost my ankle
preteen #3. Well, I have a scar on my butt, I was Ice skating and fell and jammed the end of the blade square in, imagine if I lost my butt.
preteen #4. See how this finger is just a stub, I lost it because another kid was pretending to cut me with hedge sheers and actually cut me.


I have value because my body can be damaged.


young adult #1. a while ago I was walking to the store one day and a man, just for a moment, blocked my way and opened up his jacket and said want a lick.
young adult #2. When I was about 10 I had a teenage boy lured me into the woods so he could 'touch me'.
young adult #3. I had a baby sitter that made me watch and touch her as her and her boyfriend had sex.
young adult #4. My Mother used to come into my room at night so she could 'touch me'.

I have no value because I can be damaged deep inside and am now a victim.

adult #1. I was able to go in a quiet room put a pillow over my head and cry
adult #2. I was able to cry in front of a therapist
adult #3. I once cried, while sitting in the corner of a busy store
adult #4. It would hit me like a wave, whenever or where-ever I was, I would just cry


I am gaining value because I am facing my pain.


1 I live life for the most part, OK, with "moments" of depression.
2 I live life for the most part, OK, with "moments" of fear and distrust.
3 I live life for the most part, OK, with "moments" of feeling-dirty, scared and alone.
4 I live life for the most part, OK, with "moments" of sadness so overwhelming all I can do is sit in my recliner with a towel over my head.

I have value because my life is OK, with "moments."
There are some that the "moments" are their life.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve
    Hope you are well.
    I really like the structure you have used here, it's really interesting, I also loved the line 'imagine if I lost my butt' it made me laugh.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve
    What can I say? Ouch! would seem appropriate for one of those comparisons (you know which I think) but at least I had value it would seem.

    A really love this piece and I agree with Nick, 'Imagine if I lost my butt' is priceless

    Love
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve
    what can I say? Great stuff. We're all damaged, just in different ways, I think.

    ReplyDelete